A growing number of carmakers offer electrified transportation, and Mercedes-Benz enters the fray with the 2021 EQC. The EQC is a compact SUV that seats five, and it shares much of its body structure with the gas-powered GLC-class. Its fully electric powertrain delivers quiet performance, along with the crisp acceleration that’s part of the package with many luxury EVs. Its cabin looks appropriately deluxe, with high-gloss plastics, attractive textiles, and modern design. Though final EPA figures haven’t been announced, early estimates place this SUV’s driving range at around 200 miles, which is shorter than that of its Tesla-badged competition. Overall, the EQC’s blend of Mercedes-Benz opulence and eco-friendly electrification make it an attractive pick for green-minded luxury-SUV buyers.
The Mercedes-Benz EQC is the first all-electric model to be offered locally by the three-pointed star, introducing the rapidly expanding EQ sub-brand to the Australian market.
Based on the GLC, it serves as Mercedes’ rival to the Audi E-Tron, Jaguar I-Pace, Tesla Model X and upcoming BMW iX3.
Just two variants are offered: the standard EQC400 and the EQC400 Art Line, priced at $139,700 and $145,600 before on-roads respectively.
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz EQC400: $139,700
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz EQC400 Art Line: $145,600
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The 2021 Mercedes-Benz EQC uses an 80kWh lithium-ion battery mated to two electric motors, sending power to all four wheels, with a total system output of 300kW of power and 760Nm of torque.
Mercedes-Benz claims a 0-100km/h time of 5.1 seconds.
The 2021 Mercedes-Benz EQC has a total electric range of 434km on the ADR cycle, or 414km on the WLTP cycle.
It has a Type 2 CCS plug an AC charging capacity of 7.4kW, which means it’ll take 11 hours to charge from 10 to 100 per cent if you have access to three-phase power.
An update due at the end of the first quarter of 2021 sees the on-board charger upgraded to 11kW, slashing the charging time to 7.5 hours.
You can charge the EQC from 10 to 80 per cent in 40 minutes using DC fast-charging, and the EQC supports DC charging up to 110kW.
Mercedes-Benz includes a five-year Chargefox subscription with free, unlimited charging at all Chargefox ultra-rapid stations and participating fast-charging stations nationwide.
The 2021 Mercedes-Benz EQC measures 4774mm long, 1622mm tall and 2096mm wide (1884mmexcluding the mirrors).
It weighs 2522kg and has 500L of luggage space, expanding to 1460L with the second row folded.
The 2021 Mercedes-Benz EQC requires servicing every 12 months or 25,000km, whichever comes first.
In addition to a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty, Mercedes-Benz offers a three-year service plan for the EQC priced at $1350.
Mercedes-Benz offers a reasonably competitive warranty. Still, you’ll get longer coverage from Jaguar.
- Limited warranty covers 4 years or 50,000 miles
- Powertrain warranty covers 4 years or 50,000 miles
- Hybrid components are covered for 8 years or 100,000 miles
- No complimentary scheduled maintenance
The EQC has a five-star safety rating from ANCAP based on testing conducted by Euro NCAP in 2019.
It received scores of 96 per cent for adult occupant protection, 92 per cent for child occupant protection, 75 per cent for vulnerable road user protection and 76 per cent for safety assist.
The EQC comes standard with:
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection
- Blind-spot assist
- Lane-keeping assist
- Evasive steering assist
- Traffic sign recognition
- Exit warning
- Front, side and curtain airbags
- Driver’s knee airbag
The EQC400 comes standard with the following features:
- 10.25-inch MBUX touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and satellite navigation
- 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster
- 13-speaker 590W Burmester sound system
- LED headlights with adaptive high-beam
- 20-inch alloy wheels
- Leather upholstery
- Leather-look dashboard
- Heated front seats
- Power-adjustable front seats with memory
- Head-up display
- Semi-autonomous parking assist
- Surround-view camera
- Keyless entry and start
- Power tailgate
- DAB+ digital radio
- Wireless phone charging
- 64 colour-adjustable ambient lighting
- Dual-zone climate control
- Heated, power-folding exterior mirrors
- Tyre-pressure monitoring
- Carbon fibre-look interior trim
- Five-year Chargefox subscription
- Type 2 CCS charging plug
- 8m home charging cable
- 5m public charging cable
Heated and ventilated front seats are optional.
The Art Line adds:
- Multi-contour, massaging front seats
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- Energizing Package Plus
- Rose gold stitching details
Options on both EQC models include:
- Augmented reality satellite navigation
- Innovation Package, which includes MBUX Interior Assistant and augmented reality satellite navigation
- Heated rear seats
- Aluminium-look running boards
- Tri-zone climate control
- Powered rear door sunblinds
- 21-inch alloy wheels
- Open pore wood trim (no-cost option)